Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Religion has once again dumped on my parade.

I wanted this post to be all about my joy of Barack Obama wining the Presidency. And don't get me wrong, I am thrilled. I had to wear my 'Obama 08' T-shirt 2 days in a row. It's sort of like rocking a KU shirt at work after they beat Missouri or Texas or Kansas State. Ohh the sweet satisfaction of rubbing it in. But I went ahead and threw all my euphoria into the crapper. The reason for this is that I remembered to check on the early results to Proposition 8 (The disgusting revoking of the right to same sex marriage in Cali).... I read this in Wallstreet Journal this morning....

"Early poll results Tuesday night showed California voters leaning toward overturning same-sex marriage in the state in a decision that could impact how the issue plays out elsewhere in the nation.
Approval of Proposition 8 would be a stunning upset in a $70-million campaign that just weeks ago looked to be running in favor of preserving gay marriage rights.
By 12:34 a.m. in California, 53.1% of voters favored passing Prop 8, as the measure is known, and 46.9% were against it, with 60% of precincts voting, according to the Secretary of State. However, both sides cautioned the vote could be very close and that it might still be early to declare a winner.
The passage of Prop 8, as it is known, would be a major victory for religious conservatives seeking to ban gay marriage in other states, and a crippling setback for the gay rights movement nationwide."


Now admitidly, it's not for sure, but it saddens me deeply that it is even close. I don't even think you should be allowed to vote on hateful, ignorant, backwards crap like this. The right of any two people to get 'married' should not be controlled by the state (or nation). If they are cool with 'civil unions' then what the hell is the deal with Marriage. It doesn't seem like you should even be allowed to vote on garbage like this, it feels like if Kansas randomly had a Proposition to make Hispanics use different bathrooms or something. Its just disgusting, and fills me with anger.

I even have a strange anger towards Jessica's mother this morning just because I can totally see her voting for something like this; and it makes me sad to know that not only do these people exist, but they are in my family, haha. Not only that, but her mother is well educated and practices reasoning in most of her decisions. Life would make more sense if I could just assume that the people who vote on acts like this actually are ignorant, mildly retarded members of our community. Unfortunately that is just not the case, and maybe I am being to hard on these people ('these people', now I sound like a bigot, haha). Its hard for me to put myself in their shoes (the heavily religious), just as I am sure its hard for them to look at the world through my eyes (when yur dead, yur dead). And heck, maybe her mother wouldn't vote for such a despicable bill, but even having to 'think' that she would just craps on my day. Anyway, I hope no one bothers to check this blog that is still flying high on Obama hope fumes.

I think in this post I refered to prop 8 as a prop, bill and act.... don't mind that, haha.

Obama: Believe the Dream! (haha)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who reads Wall Street Journal? Aren't they almost as biased as Fox News? Anywho... I think there are still 3 million votes to be counted, and the gap is like 400,000... doesn't look good though.

:/